Wednesday, 22 May 2019

AFCON 2019: NFF Dispel Fears Over Terrorist Attacks In Egypt

In spite of the recent terrorist attacks in Egypt, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has said the forthcoming African Nations Cup will be safe for participants.

The NFF assured Nigerians it had been in constant touch with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) on the security arrangements for the teams ahead of the competition.

The federation has been getting daily situation reports, adding that the owners of the competition would take the right decisions for the security of everybody.

“I want to assure Nigerians that the federation would monitor the situation in Egypt and make due consultations before making any pronouncement. The safety of our players is important to the NFF,” NFF First Vice President, Seyi Akinwunmi said.

Reports say an explosion apparently targeting a bus filled with tourists near the pyramids of Giza in Egypt wounded at least 14 people on Sunday.

The attack occurred close to a giant national museum that is under construction near the pyramids and that is scheduled to open next year.

It was the second attack on tourists in Giza in six months, and it suggested that armed militants opposed to President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi were seeking to undermine his authority by hitting tourists at a time when he is planning a gala opening for the long-awaited institution.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Sunday’s attack. Previous violence against tourists has been claimed by the Islamic State’s Egyptian affiliate and by other armed Islamist factions opposed to Mr. el-Sisi.

Four people, including three Vietnamese tourists and an Egyptian guide, died in a bomb attack on a tourist bus in Cairo in December.

No comments:
Write comments

Popular Posts

Featured Post

Actor Walter Anga and wife celebrates 10th wedding anniversary

Nollywood actor Walter Anga and his wife Esther Anga are marking their 10th wedding anniversary today and the couple took to Instagram to...

Recommended Posts × +